Stories form the foundation of our daily lives and dreams. They help us discover our place in the world as we create our life story. They teach us what it is to be human.
Stories also teach us about the place we call home, as they prepare us to leave it. They map the contours of struggle, the triumph of the human spirit and the timeless connection of people to land and to each other.
Story-telling is a transformative art. Good storytelling pierces the heart, opening it to possibility. Through story-telling… and story-listening… emotion flows like water, eroding and revealing the bones of truth.
Stories are fundamental to teaching and learning. All great teachers are great storytellers; all great storytellers are great story-listeners. Storytelling builds community, revealing common ground, moving the community to action. In community, anything is possible.
She kept asking if the stories were true. I kept asking her if it mattered. We finally gave up. She was looking for a place to stand and I wanted a place to fly. — Brian Andreas
In many cultures, the return of winter signaled the return of storytelling. This winter, Monarch Teacher Network is launching a series of evening storytelling sessions: Stories from the Land: Places to Fly, Places to Stand.
Each 2-hour session brings together a small group of educators, parents, grandparents and other adults who want to learn about the art of personal and environmental storytelling. Participants will share a short personal or traditional story.
- Opportunities to hear, tell and share stories
- Basic instruction in storytelling arts
- Storytelling resources
- Professional development credits (teachers)
We are actively planning storytelling sessions for the winter of 2014-2015.
** Tuesday March 11: Cape May County – Cape May NWR, Wildwood Crest, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
** Monday April 7: Burlington County – DeMasi Middle School, Evesham Twp, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
To participate: Send an email to Bhayes@eirc.org. Include your phone number and which session you wish to attend.
Complete: Fri Nov 22: Atlantic County – Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, Oceanville, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
Complete Tues Feb 4: Hunterdon County – Holland Twp School, Milford, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
CompleteThurs Feb 6: Cape May County – Cape May NWR, Wildwood Crest, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
Complete Tues Feb 18: Monmouth County – Bolger Middle School, Keansburg, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
Complete Thurs Feb 20: Gloucester County – EIRC at Rowan Univ Tech Park, Mullica Hill, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
Complete Tues Feb 25: Middlesex County – the EARTH CENTER, South Brunswick, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
CompleteWed Feb 26: Mercer County – Maurice Hawk School, West Windsor, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
Complete Thurs Feb 27: Morris County – Riverview Elementary School, Denville, NJ 6:30-8:30 pm
See attachment for details.
There is no cost to attend a session, but space is limited. To register please send an email with your name, email, phone number, address, and your business or school to email@example.com.
Your registration will be confirmed by email. Teachers, parents, naturalists and other adults can participate.
In November 2012, we completed the following storytelling sessions:
Hunterdon County – Delaware Twp School, Sergeantsville, NJ
Atlantic County – Edwin Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, Oceanville, NJ
Gloucester County – EIRC at Rowan Univ Tech Park, Mullica Hill, NJ
Mercer County – Maurice Hawk School, West Windsor, NJ
We held the following sessions in February 2013:
* Fri Feb 15: Atlantic County – Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, 800 Great Creek Rd, Oceanville, NJ
* Tues Feb 19: Hunterdon County – Delaware Twp School, 501 Rosemont Ringoes Rd, Sergeantsville, NJ
* Wed Feb 20: Mercer County – Maurice Hawk School, 303 Clarksville Rd, Princeton Jct, NJ
* Mon Feb 25: Union County – Allen Roberts Elementary School, 80 Jones Dr, New Providence, NJ
* Tues Feb 26: Gloucester County – EIRC at Rowan Univ Tech Park, 107 Gilbreth Parkway, Mullica Hill, NJ
* Wed Feb 27: Morris County – Riverview Elementary School, 33 St Marys Pl, Denville, NJ
* Thurs Feb 28: Burlington County – Alice Paul Institute, 128 Hooton Rd, Mount Laurel, NJ
Monarch Teacher Network
- Monarch Butterflies – California Trip
- Voices From the Land – TBA 2016
- Summer Workshops (Monarch and Voices) TBA 2016
- Monarch Butterflies – Mexico Trip
Voices From the Land
- Global Connections
- Sustainable Earth Program
- One World, One Future
- Hands Across the Water
- Quilt Project
- Additional Links