Rowan/CGCE:Working with Troubled & Troubling Students
Essential Question: “The question for educators is not whether all human’s can learn but what conditions we can devise so that they will learn.” ( Roland Barth, Learning By Heart )
WHAT ARE THOSE CONDITIONS? WHAT SKILLS ARE NEEDED BY THE STAFF TO ACTUALIZE THOSE CONDITIONS?
1. Background—What is going on? What happens to these children?
2. The Seeds of Discouragement
3. What does the Resiliency Research tell us about success with these children?
4. Classroom Leadership & Management – What do you want to accomplish?
5. Becoming a “Turnaround Teacher” – Restoring Bonds of Respect
6. Creating Learner Centered Classrooms – Instruction, Motivation, Inspiration
7. Recognizing and handling Crisis Behaviors – 3 Possible Out-comes of Crisis
8. Learning the Skills of the Conflict Cycle
9. Pulling it all together — Where might you go from here?