Monarch Teacher Network
The Monarch Teacher Network (MTN) is a growing network of teachers and other people who use monarch butterflies to teach a variety of concepts and skills, including our growing connection with other nations and the need to be responsible stewards of the environment.
Click here for our most recent Monarch Butterfly project flyer: MTN Project flier
A Special Thank You to Mr. Jia-Long Jan for introducing us to The Purple Crow Butterfly: A Taiwan Cousin of the Monarch Butterfly
We learned about the Purple Crow Butterfly, a “cousin” of the Monarch butterfly. Like the Monarch, the Purple Crow makes an annual migration… but the Purple Crow does it in Taiwan! And like the Monarch, Taiwanese people are using the story of the Purple Crow to alert Taiwan’s people to the need for conservation. Mr. Jan presented evening programs in Boston, in southern NJ/Philadelphia area, and in the Fairfax County/Washington DC area. All of these presentations were well attended.
MTN has three main projects it uses to reach its goals (click on a project to learn more):
- Monarch Teacher Network and the story of the Monarch Butterfly
- Voices from the Land – Connecting Language and Landscapes, Art and Culture
- Stories from the Land – Places to Stand/Places to Fly
Follow us on Facebook: Search and join “Monarch Teacher Network” in Facebook groups.
MTN offered an alternative destination for the Mexico trips because of the continued violence in Mexico. In February 2011, MTN conducted it’s first-ever tours of the California monarch colonies. These trips were a tremendous success. In January of 2014 and beyond we will return to California. To find out more about our California trip click on the link on the right “Monarch Butterflies – California trip”. We continue to monitor the situation in Mexico in anticipation for our return.
Journeys and Transformations – The Monarch Butterfly Story New Edition: Three language choices – English, French, or Spanish! This 28-minute DVD created by Monarch Teacher Network tells the story of the monarch butterfly: its life cycle and migration, its connection to people, cultures and critical environmental issues. DVD’s are available at $5 per DVD plus $4 shipping/handling… we can ship up to 4 DVDs for $4 shipping/handling so $24 = 4 dvds and shipping costs)
Here is what people are saying about this film:
- Appeals to all ages, and while retaining intellectual integrity, is emotionally engaging.
- An awesome video. I bought a copy for my children and grandchildren.
- A great teaching tool for all ages… challenging people to work together for
a sustainable future.
Monarch Life Cycle Poster. Monarch Teacher Network has created its own Monarch Life Cycle teaching poster that includes text in three languages (English, French, Spanish) while showcasing all stages of the Monarch’s life cycle and migration. Folded posters are available at $3 each plus $2 shipping/handling ($4 shipping/handling covers up to 5 posters).
To purchase a DVD or Poster, send check or money order (payable to Monarch Teacher Network), including shipping costs, with your request (Poster, DVD or both and the number of each item to:
Monarch Teacher Network – EIRC, South Jersey Technology Park, 107 Gilbreth Parkway Suite 200, Mullica Hill, NJ 08062-4446, attn: Brian H.
Include your mailing address and phone number or email in case we need to contact you. For more information, contact Brian Hayes 856.582.7000 x110 or email@example.com
- Teaching/ Learning with Monarch Butterflies
- Voices from the Land – An exciting project that connects students to nature through language arts (writing, speaking and listening skills), art, performance and technology
- One-week trips to California or Mexico to visit the Monarch Butterfly Colonies
- A growing network of teachers and other people who raise, teach, and enjoy Monarch butterflies.
Write: Monarch Teacher Network – EIRC, South Jersey Technology Park, 107 Gilbreth Parkway Suite 200, Mullica Hill, NJ 08062-4446